Love Follow Me on Pinterest? Just hover over any image on our blog to Pin It!

Friday, November 19, 2010

Jean Franks Beck: Library Pocket and Bookmark

Happy Friday, Everyone! Today I have a little project that would be perfect for those of you who lend out your books, have book-loving friends, or if you are in a bookclub that passes books around to the members. I've created a stamped and embellished library pocket with a library card bookmark, to be glued into place at the front of a favorite hardcover.

To make the library pocket, I purchased an inexpensive pack of plain library pockets (can be found at most all office supply or school supply stores or outlets), and took one apart and traced it onto patterned paper. My paper had a softly colored pattern on both sides, since you will see both sides once it's folded. I cut along the traced lines and scored where the folds were in the template. I stamped the reading girl from the Relish Reading plate using Archival Ink in Coffee, then stamped the words Imagination and Daydream in pale blue. At this point I went around all the edges with Distress Ink in Antique Linen and Vintage Photo. I embellished the pocket with some vintage lace trim, a butterfly punched from vintage text, and a tiny mother of pearl button. You'll want to keep your embellishments relatively flat so that they don't interfere with the closing of the cover. Use a good strong adhesive to assemble the pocket so that it won't pop apart with use. A few strips of tacky tape on the back will secure it to your book. (If giving as a gift, adhere the tacky tape to the back but leave the outward side of the pink strip on for your recipient to remove when she puts it in her book.)

I also bought a packet of library cards and used one as a bookmark. I stamped the girl in the chair in a pale blue ink, so that the card could actually be used. You can either use it the old fashioned way, and put the title at the top, with the borrowers names and date borrowed on the lines; OR, you can put your own name and address at the top (for people to remember whom they borrowed from), and make the lines a place for people to jot down a comment or two about what they thought of the book. I used a little bit of the same patterned paper to decorate the top, punched a hole, and threaded through some pretty crinkled ribbon and a vintage mother of pearl button. I love that there is a built-in place to put the bookmark while you're reading.... I often find that I take out the bookmark and end up misplacing it, so this is just the ticket. :)

These are easy to make and would make great little gifts as a thank you to a friend who has lent you her book, or to make in sets as a gift for a bookworm. Thanks for stopping by, and have a great weekend. ;)

8 comments:

  1. This is a lovely group of book items and a great idea. Very effective. The U.S stationery supply stores seem to stock different things to UK ones! Love what you have done with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you stamped her over the lightly patterned paper and used brown ink! Sometimes black is just too harsh, I think. Love this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful light blue background for that image - Jean has such a soft style!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful and a wonderful idea.
    sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful idea and extremely pretty project! Love your use of lace and ribbons!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this project! Thanks for the great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this idea, as I lend books to people but sometimes don't get them back. I think I will be making a few of these.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and telling us what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...