Love Follow Me on Pinterest? Just hover over any image on our blog to Pin It!

Saturday, January 15, 2011

Sharon Briss: Layered Tile

I've had fun playing with ceramic tiles in the week with my green tile and my red one! The Relish Reading stamps seem to lend themselves to this wonderful technique which I first learned about from Penny Bennington and her tutorial on Gingersnap Creations.


For today's tile, I decided to change it up a bit. I started by applying a background using three Adirondack Alcohol inks - Rust, Lettuce and Eggplant. I let these completely dry and then applied a few spots of Meadow on top and finally a bit of Red Pepper alcohol ink. To my delight, the background which had come out as small marbled areas was then overlaid with wonderfully big blotches of red and green.

To finish off, I dropped some blending solution on top of the tile. Instead of blending it in, I just let it expand naturally to create the open circular areas. I let everything dry completely.

From here it was easy to fill those lovely open spots. I simply laid my tissue paper on the dry tile so I could get the positions as close as possible. I cut a reverse circular mask out of a post-it note with a 1" circle punch.

I laid the mask over each hole and stamped my images over the mask, making sure to only ink the portion of the image that I wanted to appear on the tile.


Here's the end result:

All stamps are from the Relish Reading plate.

Why not make your own tile project with your Rogue Redhead stamps? It's truly addictive!

8 comments:

  1. What a funny piece in beautiful colours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful idea! It is so neat looking! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what a great technique! Love all of the images peeking through.

    ReplyDelete
  4. gorgeous colors and amazing technique--love the finished product.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your tiles! I've played with this technique before, but never with the open spaces -- what a nice twist! Roberta

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great tile, and what a lot of work you have put into it. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yours is great, am now working on mine.........Annette x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and telling us what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...