Love Follow Me on Pinterest? Just hover over any image on our blog to Pin It!

Saturday, February 26, 2011

Sharon Briss: Cuddling Couple

It is a bright and frosty day here in Massachusetts, so I wanted to capture that feeling with some inky fun.

For the bright sunshiny aspect that I wanted to use hot colors but I didn't want to make those color overpowering so watercoloring with markers came to mind. This is a simple technique in which you stamp your image onto watercolor paper with permanent ink, outline the areas you want to color with markers and then use an aqua brush to draw the color into the center of each space. It takes a little practice but the effect is fabulous.

To capture the crisp and clean wintery air, I took grabbed several cool-hued colors of reinker, mostly blues with one green, and my craft mat. I added a few drops of each onto my craft mat and drew a plastic knife across the ink in both directions to mix it. I then dragged some glossy card stock through the resulting ink puddle and twisted a bit when I picked it up. I really love creating backgrounds this way as the results are never the same. The strip below will give you an idea of the variation possible.

Here's the end result of mixing these two techniques:

Cuddling Couple
Stamp: snuggling couple from Snow Hugs plate
Cardstock: Whisper White (Stampin Up); glossy cardstock; watercolor paper
Ink: various reinkers (Stampin Up); jet Black (StazOn); various markers (Stampin Up)

Hope your day is bright and cheery!

8 comments:

  1. I particularly love the effect of the images, very modern art and I love that. Annette x

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beauty, Shar! Great colours. A lot of sun and 20º Celsius here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great contrast from the cuddling couple to the snowy background. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shar, the abstract style of the image works so well with the soft, floaty feel to the background. Two opposites yet they sit together so comfortably.
    Lynne M x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great background, even if it does make me want to shiver, lol. xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and telling us what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...