Love Follow Me on Pinterest? Just hover over any image on our blog to Pin It!

Saturday, April 30, 2011

Simple Set Saturday: Bleached Basics

Sometimes less is more. For today's set of simple cards, I have turned to bleach to make my card set quick and easy.

First, start with a simple design and sentiment. I used Jet Black StazOn ink for a nice dark impression. I stamped the image on Kraft colored cardstock.


Next, I poured a small amount of bleach into a cup. I dipped a cotton swab into the bleach and used the swab to apply bleach over my image. I tried to keep in the lines. You can also use an water brush or plain paintbrush but I like the cotton swabs because I don't have to rinse them later.


Different cardstocks will reveal different colors on bleaching. Not all will go white. This Kraft cardstock went a yellowy tan. Your ink may also change color too. On parts of my cards, my lovely black impression went a vintage brown.

The most important step is to heat set your bleached image with your heat tool. Keep the tool well above the image when drying. You don't want to burn it! Setting the image will stop the bleaching process. I did not know this key step when I made my first bleached card and the bleach kept right on bleaching away until no part of my inked image was visible.

While I could have added color to these bleached image, I really liked the simple change in color that the bleaching achieved. Here are the finished cards:








Stamps used: girl, books and swingers from the Relish Reading set and sentiments from the soon to be released Bits and Pieces and Floriculture sets (Rogue Redhead Designs)

Don't miss next week! Not only will we have another fun card set for you, it will also be release day for our newest plates!

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful effects Shar. Annette x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely. Thanks for the tip about the heat setting...I did not know that!

    Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these! I've been thinking of making notelets using your stamps and kraft but not got round to it yet. Now I've got a load of new ideas, lol. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. They may be simple but the effect is stunning.
    Wishes
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much. This technique really is impressive and I'm grateful for the heat-set tip.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are gorgeous! I am amazed that the kraft cardstock bleached so beautifully. And the cotton swab tip is perfect - no rinsing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and telling us what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...