Love Follow Me on Pinterest? Just hover over any image on our blog to Pin It!

Saturday, April 23, 2011

Simple Set Saturday: Remarkerable Backgrounds

I love background stamps! Who doesn't? But I always hate that they have to take a backseat when it comes to cards. With some markers and patience, you can make your backgrounds stand out with style!

This is a simple technique I've seen in a few different places. Instead of inking your stamp, you just color it with markers. I chose to create a variegated look with mine using 3 color values per card - light, medium and dark. To further enhance the monochrome feel, I used coordinating cardstock for the medium and dark values.

I created the dark stripes on my Snow Hugs Crazy Dot background first and then adding the medium shade on either side of the dark stripes. I filled everything in with the lightest color. Then it was a simple matter of "huffing" on the stamp (basically blowing puffs of air from your mouth onto the stamp to reactivate the marker ink) and stamping it down.

I have a little trick where I turn my background stamp rubber up, place my paper on top to position exactly where I want it and then using a large acrylic block to press down on the paper to get a nice crisp image.

Once, you have your cool new background, create a simple design and repeat in coordinating colors. It's that easy!

Supplies
Stamps: crazy dot background and heart from Snow Hugs plate (Rogue Redhead Designs)
For green card: Handsome Hunter, Green Galore, and Gable Green markers; Whisper White, Handsome Hunter and Green Galore cardstock (Stampin Up)
For purple card: Elegant Eggplant, Lavender Lace and Pale Plum markers; Whisper White, Elegant Eggplant and Lavender Lace cardstock (Stampin Up)
For blue card: Brilliant Blue, Ballet Blue, and Bashful Blue markers; Whisper White, Brilliant Blue and Ballet Blue cardstock (Stampin Up)
Tools: 1.25" square punch (Stampin Up); 1.5" scallop square punch (Marvy)

Hope you join us again for another Simple Set Saturday!

4 comments:

  1. What a great effect, Shar - love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You just keep coming up with more and more neat ways to use your stamps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are great - really effective !!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and telling us what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...