Love Follow Me on Pinterest? Just hover over any image on our blog to Pin It!

Saturday, May 21, 2011

Simple Set Saturday: Distressed Lustre

I love my Ranger Distress Inks. They are fun to work with and so easy to use. Today, I am going to show you how to combine your Distress Inks, some cool paper from PaperTemptress and some Rogue Redhead stamps to come up with two different card sets.

Supplies for the main panels:
Images from Floriculture and Relish Reading plates
Laser Silver Lustre paper (PaperTemptress)
StazOn Ink - this tutorial uses Jet Black
Ranger Distress Inks - 1 to 2 base colors, 1 yellow and 1 to 2 of the browns
Alcohol Ink applicator and Blending Foam or Sponges or Cotton Balls

First off, forgive the dark pictures. It has been raining all week in Massachusetts so my studio's usual fabulous natural light did not come through. My pictures came out slightly dreary, just like the view from my window.

Let's get going with this super simple technique. Start by stamping your image with StazOn ink onto the Laser Silver Lustre paper. I used a sentiment and the Lily of the Valley from the new Floriculture plate. Stamping straight is easy with this paper and its subtle textured look. I just line up with the lines on the paper. Trim your piece down to the size you want and you are ready to start distressing. I always trim my images down after I add my sentiment in case the words go a little crooked. That way, I can trim the piece so that the sentiment always looks dead on straight.

Now, choose the Distress Ink you want for your main color. I choose Peeled Paint for this project. Use an applicator with blending foam to apply the ink to the paper. I work from the scrap paper inward and use circular motions. Keep adding more ink and working it as desired until you are happy with the result.

Next, take one of the brown Distress Inks and start applying that around the edge of the image. I used Tea Dye for this one. To create a deeper edge, I also applied some Vintage Photo but not as far into the image as I had applied the Tea Dye.



To finish up and bring up the image and sentiment, I applied a little Scattered Straw with a sponge just to my stamped areas.

Once completed, I matted my panel with Copper Stardream and used Caramel Pearl Linen as my card base. Each paper has its own different sheen so the effect was quite nice.

Here's my finished card:

and from the side:

I also created a second card using the same color scheme:



While I loved the wonderful earthy colored panels I had created, I wanted to try some other color combinations. I took out my Relish Reading plate for the next two cards.

The first one uses the Swingers and a sentiment from the Relish Reading plate along with Victorian Velvet, Worn Lipstick, Vintage Photo and Scattered Straw Distress inks. The card has a Burgundy Brawny RC 100lb base and the Distressed Laser Silver Lustre is matted with Nero from the Incandescent line which has some metallic sparkle for some more of that wonderful shine. As a background panel, I used Cranberry Brown Bag Kraft paper which I ripped to show the brown bag side.

I used the same formula for the next card, using the book border from Relish Reading and another sentiment. For inks, I chose Tumbled Glass, Broken China, Vintage Photo and Scattered Straw. As this card's colors provided more contrast, I again matted with Copper and used a pairing of Tuscan Sun Brawny RC 100lb and Blueberry Brown Bag Kraft paper.

Do try some of your Distress Inks on your textured paper to see what will happen! You never know what great looks you can create!

Don't forget that you only have until June 10th to take advantage of our great introductory prices for Floriculture and Bits and Pieces or grab our Release 3 Bundle or our Big Vintage Bundle.

10 comments:

  1. What a fantastic set of cards. I was lucky enough to see them IRL and they are amazing. What a cool idea coloring this paper - I'm definitely going to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool, beautiful, shimmery effect.... I think I might have some of that paper from PT. I will definitely have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this card- the sponging adds such a pretty look to the pretty floral image!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a brilliant set of cards. The shimmery effect together with the distressing gives the cards this very special something.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i'm glad to see this tutotiral as i've never felt i got the best results with this special paper and i have plenty left. thanks much; your cards are fabulous. xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great tutorial. And I love the images and quotes.
    Jack xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shar this is a brilliant tutorial.
    As for the cards .... such elegance.
    Wishes
    Lynne
    (I could see this in Take Ten!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great tutorial. Everything really works well together to make some great cards.

    ReplyDelete
  9. love the step-by-step, so pretty!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and telling us what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...