Love Follow Me on Pinterest? Just hover over any image on our blog to Pin It!

Saturday, September 3, 2011

Simple Set Saturday: Spritzing Beach Babes

Here we are at the last official gasp of summer and many people are having fun in the sun at some sandy beach somewhere. That gave me the idea for my newest Simple Set.

You may think this set has lots of steps but it goes together fast and easy - believe me! I did these three cards in 30 minutes - I did cheat with my heat tool a little to speed up drying but I think the most you would need is 1 hour for 3 or 4 cards!

My other inspiration was the current Rebel Challenge - Surf and Turf - Wet and Dry Embossing. In simple terms, pair together some heat embossing with a little dry embossing. We've extended this challenge - why not - as August is a big vacation month. Now, you have until September 8th to join in!

For this set I used two Technique Junkie techniques, Marker Wash and a variation on Cuttlebug Highlights, which went together like a dream!

To start, I stamped my images onto watercolor paper and heat embossed with Super Fine Embossing Powder (Ranger).

Be sure to use a embossing buddy to get off anything that might grab that embossing powder that isn't ink. As you can see in the picture below, I wasn't as thorough in my rubbing as I should have been.

Thankfully, I have a back up plan. I also use a soft, dry paintbrush to eliminate any extra embossing powder as watercolor paper does have a tendency to grab onto all particulate matter.

I picked three images for this set and embossed them all.

I then colored in my images roughly with my Stampin' Up markers which use water-based ink so they run really well.

Spritz with a mister about 3 times and then turn the paper in your hand and let the ink run hither and yon.



Set aside to dry or, if impatient like me, dry carefully with a heat tool.

What I really love about this technique is that it is so unpredictable. You can get a great smoosh of ink all over the place or a slight "run". Most of my art is comprised of "happy accidents" so I guess that is why it appeals to me so much!

After doing this step, I set about cutting all my pieces and stamping my sentiments while the final drying took place. I cut bases from kraft paper, a 5.25" x 4" chocolate mat and a 5" x 3.75" slate blue mat. I ran the blue mat through the cuttlebug with a wave pattern embossing folder. Then I dragged a coordinating ink pad and some white ink over the raised bits. It made the wave pattern more visible but still subtle.

I also cut out some kraft-colored "belly bands" and stamped sentiments on with StazOn ink.

Next, I used my absolute favorite circle/oval cutter from Creative Memories to cut out my images in small ovals and then cut coordinating mats in chocolate.

Now, the assembly went together quite quickly.

I added the kraft belly band to the cuttlebugged mat. Then I adhered that panel onto the chocolate mat. Finally, I put together the images and their mats and positioned and adhered them to the chocolate panel and then everything got stuck onto the kraft base. Easy peasy

Here are the finished cards:


Stamps: Waving Girl from Beach Babes and Miss You from Relish Reading

Stamps: Boy and Oceans of Love from Beach Babes

Stamps: Girl and My Life sentiment from Beach Babes.

Why not try this combo of techniques out and join in on our Rebel Challenge! One randomly-drawn winner will receive a $15.00US voucher to the Rogue Redhead store!

5 comments:

  1. Your spritzed beach babes look great! I will definitely have to try out that technique.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous cards Shar! They may not have taken you long but they look very effective! Love the spritzing and the colouring. Such cute little images too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! Love the splashes of color, especially under the boy image. Great texture, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great technique; I will def. have to try it. I love how it looks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this technique! The cards are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and telling us what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...