Love Follow Me on Pinterest? Just hover over any image on our blog to Pin It!

Saturday, November 19, 2011

Sharon Briss: Variations on Vintage

At the beginning of the month, I showed you how you could use the same sketch to create a series of a simple holiday note card set just by changing the image but continuing the same feel through papers and technique.

Today, I'd like to share an example of how you can use all the same elements - image and layout - but still get some fun variations by changing out papers and colors.


I had so much fun paper piecing Dot from Milliner Misses with PaperTemptress' Ruche Paper with a Warhol card, I could not resist making more cards with the same easy paper piecing technique. It gives such a great 3D effect to the image!

I picked 3 different color combinations to start based on 3 designer papers I liked. With Memento ink, I stamped Dot onto an oval created by my Marvy punch. I colored her face in with my 3 favorite flesh toned Copic markers - base layer of E00, major shadows with E02 and outline with E11.

From there, I stamped Dot again onto ruche paper with StazOn ink and cut out her hat and coat - which conveniently cuts out as all one piece! I attached her outerwear with adhesive and then retrimmed any overlap on the oval. After that, I used a matching Marvy punch to create a scallop mat for her. The sentiment, stamped on a simple belly band, is also from Milliner Misses. A corner-rounded panel of designer paper completes the card. To be different, I had cut my cardstock base so 4.25" x 11" so that it opens from the side instead of the bottom.

What surprised me was how different the same exact elements could look by simply switching color schemes and designer paper!

Here's Dot with a red/mustard color combo!


Here she is again with a kiwi green and pale yellow palette.


Finally, I went with an unusual twosome of rust and gray. I wanted to see what an monochromatic designer paper would look like in this layout so I took the second color from Dot's hair, which is definitely red!


Hope you enjoyed these simple cards!

All of these variations could be entered into the newest Rebel Challenge "Dress Down" where we ask you to use one and only one designer/patterned paper. Why not come and play with us?

We've also added a page to the RRD blog so you can ALWAYS find the latest Rebel Challenge easily! Look for the "Our Current Challenge" tab in our menu!

Have a wonderful weekend! Look for my post next week when Rogue Redhead Designs plays along with the weekly Jingle Belles Challenge blog!

10 comments:

  1. Fabulous cards Sharon! I love paper piecing too! Gives the image more depth and texture! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although I don't do a lot of paper piercing, totally love the effects it gives. Smashing set of cards and a perfect image. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore this ... must give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous cards Sharon... I never tried the paper piercing... now I'll go and look at that tech!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great cards and love that hatted lady stamp!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. woo hoo! My stamps arrived in the mail today! I love the ruche effect!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too just got my stamps and also love paper piecing. It is one of my favorite techniques. Shar ~ your cards are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are so lovely! I do love the different effects just by changing the papers and colors! Great paper piecing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love how you have used the stamp and a great collection of cards. It would make a lovely gift set of notecards.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such rich coats and hats... love your coloring!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and telling us what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...