Love Follow Me on Pinterest? Just hover over any image on our blog to Pin It!

Saturday, February 2, 2013

Simple Set Saturdays: Vintage Valentines

We're celebrating Valentine's Day on our Simple Set Saturday this month! I generally do not make traditional valentines and this year is no exception. I've gone quite simple using only standard cardstock, glossy paper and watercolor paper. I kept the color palette simple - 2 shades of pink and 3 shades of brown. Layering a backgrounds, one waterstamped and the other traditionally stamped gave teh backgrounds a lovely depth and complexity of texture.  I did not use any cupids or hearts and instead relied on vintage images and romantic sentiments.


To keep the required time to create these nice and tight, I organized my tasks. I started by cutting the glossy paper into 4 panels measuring 4.0" x 5.25". For the next step, I did each panel individually as I did not want the ink to by too dry. I used a direct-to-paper inking technique with some Victorian Velvet Distress Ink on the glossy panel and smoothed out the result with a cotton ball. I choose my first backgound and spritzed it with water. I pressed it onto the distress inked glossy panel and then removed the stamp. A lovely inverse of the background stamp appeared. I repeated this procedure with the other three panels, choosing a different background stamp each time. I set these aside to dry a bit.

You can see in this first card the layered background.  For this card, I waterstamped the Bubble Wrap background from the new Behind the Scenes collection and overstamped with the Sandy Beach background from Beach Babes.  The boat and sentiment are also from Beach Babes.

Stamps: boat, sentiment  and Sandy Beach background from Beach Babes;
Bubble Wrap background from Behind the Scenes (Rogue Redhead Designs)

Here you can see a detail of the two texture backgrounds layered together.


My next step was to stamp my desired vintage images onto the watercolor paper. I used Timber Brown StazOn ink so that I could immediately start watercoloring them with an aquabrush and my distress inks. I wanted to keep a minimal color palette so I chose to use the Victorian Velvet again with Spun Sugar, Tea Dye and Vintage Photo. The last two colors remain on my craft table as go-to colors. I usually stamp the inks I want to watercolor with onto an acrylic block so that I can pick them up easily and I don't damage my ink pads.

You can see on this next card that I kept the watercoloring merely a hint of color.  I just wanted to give some dimension to the images.  For this card, I had waterstamped my Handwritten background (Behind the Scenes)  and overstamped with the Handwritten Music from the same set.  The couple is from Just Sayin' and the sentiment is from Snow Hugs.

Stamps: old couple from Just Sayin', sentiment from Snow Hugs;
Bubble Wrap background from Behind the Scenes (Rogue Redhead Designs)

While my first round of painted ink was drying, I overstamped my second background images onto each of my four glossy panels using Victorian Velvet again. As the direct-to-paper and sponging had laid a light hue of color on the panels, the full strength version of the ink gave wonderful contrast.

The background below is the inverse of the one above.  I waterstamped the Handwritten Music and then overstamped the Handwriting background.



From here, I added a second layer of detail to my watercolored images. I like to let them dry and then apply my next layer of ink to give a little shading without having to use additional colors.

You can see the extra shading on my third card.  I used Dot and one of the sentiments from Milliner Misses.  To cut down the whiteness of the watercolor paper, I used a soft wash of Spun Sugar around the image.


Stamps: Dot and sentiment from Milliner Misses; Handwriting and Handwritten Music
backgrounds from Behind the Scenes (Rogue Redhead Designs)

To finish off the cards, I cut 4 card bases from burgundy cardstock. I used an additional sheet of cardstock to mat my images which I had cut into ovals and circles. When matting my images, I offset my images slightly for a little different look.

I especially liked the look for my final card, a simple floral valentine.  To create this card, I had waterstamped the Sequin Waste background (Behind the Scenes) and added the Almanac background from Relish Reading overtop. 


For my images, I chose the cosmos blossom and "Je t'aime" from Floriculture and added very minimal color. 

Stamps: Cosmos blossom and sentiment from Floriculture; Handwriting and Handwritten Music
backgrounds from Behind the Scenes (Rogue Redhead Designs)

Once assembled, I really liked the unified color and look. Hope you do as well!

Don't forget to check out our newest plate - Behind the Scenes - on sale for US$17.60 until February 28, 2013.

5 comments:

  1. very nice--love the backgrounds and the Valentine ideas

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow ... these are fantastic ... so inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such beautiful backgrounds... dreamy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful cards! Those backgrounds are fabulous.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and telling us what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...