Love Follow Me on Pinterest? Just hover over any image on our blog to Pin It!

Saturday, January 18, 2014

Introducing the Holiday Inspiration Club - One-Layer Elegance

I don't know about you, but the holiday season in 2013 was so busy!  I had very little time to craft and less time to just relax. As January is the year of resolutions, I have decided I will get a HUGE head start on my holiday crafting by doing a little every month.  The Rogue Crew will be helping me along the way!


Each month, we'll present some holiday inspiration and a chance for you to show off your fabulous creations as well!  Join us and keep the holiday spirit all year long! 

We'll be showcasing some of the best submissions on the RRD blog in February!

After such a busy season, we thought we would start with easy but elegant - one-layer creations.  You can create cards, tags, ATCs, scraplings and bookmarks to name just a few ideas. I was woefully light on cards this year, so I've made a bunch to start us off.


I have always loved masking and it is a great way to create a simple one-layer card.   There are so may ways to go with this technique.

For my first card, I thought I would start off with the ambassador of Christmas - Santa himself!

Stamps: Santa, Twas the Night background and sentiment Santa from Christmas Cheer
(Rogue Redhead Designs)

For this card, I used stamps from the Christmas Cheer set.  I started out by masking Santa and a small rectangle to his left.  I stamped the mini background, Twas the Night, from the set in the rectangle with Scattered Straw Distress ink.


Next, I sponged Wild Honey around the edges to give it a little depth.  By positioning the background panel offset, it provides a bit of feeling of movement to the card.


Finally, I removed the mask and added color with copic markers.  I added red to the hat in 3 shades.  For the beard, I added two tones of grey while the fur on the hat received a little light blue outlining. 


For the next card, I did a twist on two Technique Junkies technique, the first called "In the Middle" and the second "Depth of Field"..  For the center strip, I have highlighted the Santa's Ride stamp, a great silhouette of the old gent delivering all his gifts in quite a hurry.  Above and below, I have stamped the holly stamp from Christmas Cheer in 3 different shades of Distress Ink, overlapping the various impressions.  I think the effect was quite effective!

Stamps: Santa's Ride and Holly from Christmas Cheer plate
(Rogue Redhead Deisgns)

With the green ink still out, I decided to create a cheery little greeting with those sweet bunnies from A Winter's Tale.  I again turned to my Technique Junkies newsletters for inspiration and remembered an old favorite called "Mono Masking".  Obviously, I did not follow all the directions as this did not turn into a monochrome piece.  I was also supposed to add different elements in justaposed quadrants, but I really loved the way the snowflakes turned out so I kept going with them.

Stamps: Bunny Bunch and 3 snowflakes from Beatrix Potter's A Winter's Tale set
(available from Rogue Redhead Designs)


After this one, I decided to go back to minimal and magnificent.  I used some splendid kraft cardstock and kept it simple, black ink with a little white highlighting.

Stamps: Santa's Ride and Merry Christmas from Christmas Cheer plate
(Rogue Redhead Deisgns)

For those that like more color, I have another quick and uncomplicated look.  Use geometric shapes and a repeating pattern for a striking but simple card.  In this instance, I mixed the extremely useful circle from Bits and Pieces with the Christmas Tree from Christmas Cheer.  The sentiment comes from the mix-and-match sentiments of Bits and Pieces.

Stamps: Christmas Tree from Christmas Cheer plate and sentiment and circle
from Bits and Pieces plate (Rogue Redhead Designs)
Partial masking can create another fabulous look.  For the card below, I first stamped and colored the Precious Pair (named by our dear Trisha Too of the Rogue Crew) from Christmas Cheer.  I created an oval mask using my oval cutter and laid it over the girls.  From there, I used re positionable notes to mask out a stripe.  I stamped the Sequin Waste background (Behind the Scenes) over the stripe with Scattered Straw and sponged more of the same color along the stripe.  Finally, I stamped the Handwrittten Music background (also from Behind the Scenes) over the stripe with Wild Honey distress ink and added more Wild Honey around the edges.  Finally, I added the Merry Christmas sentiment in Jet Black StazOn.

Stamps: Precious Pair and Merry Christmas from Christmas Cheer plate and Handwritten Music
and Reverse Sequin backgrounds from Behind the Scenes plate (Rogue Redhead Designs)

Finally, I used some Post-It 6-Line Labeling and Cover-Up tape to create quick masked areas on the card below after stamping Santa in the middle with Memento ink and masking with a cut oval.  I filled in the exposed cardstock with Spun Sugar Distress ink, edged with Worn Lipstick Distress ink.  I stamped the Twas the Night mini background with Fire Brick Distress ink.  I used the same combination to add some red to Santa's hat with an aquabrush.  His beard I outlined in Stormy Sky.

Stamps: Santa and Twas the Night mini background from Christmas Cheer plate
  (Rogue Redhead Designs)

Well, those are my cards for this month.  Lots of variation for our One-Layer Elegance theme!  Now, it is your turn!

First, grab a badge for your blog to show you are participating.


Next, share your fabulous one-layer creations with the Holiday Inspiration Club right here on this post!  You don't have to use RRD stamps, but it goes without saying that we LOVE it when you do!

Don't forget that the Christmas Cheer unmounted half plate is ON SALE until January 31, 2014 for US$10.00 (reg. US$15.00). 

http://www.rogueredheaddesigns.com/RRD014.html

Visit our Specials page at the Rogue Redhead Designs website to see what other great bargains we have on offer!

Let's get inspired by each other!  Be sure to visit your fellow Holiday Rogues!

3 comments:

  1. Gorgeous cards, Shar! I'd say you have a great head start on Christmas cards for December 2014!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow you have been busy.....trying to forget about Christmas cards........lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. these are great cards Shar, and it's a great idea :) to get ahead, love those bunnies and the Santa xx Debi xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and telling us what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...