Love Follow Me on Pinterest? Just hover over any image on our blog to Pin It!

Saturday, March 15, 2014

Holiday Inspiration Club: Make Your Own Backgrounds

Hi fellow Rogues!  My name is Holly, and I am the guest hostess for the Holiday Inspiration Club this month.  I love the idea behind this club, and I already have several cards ready for Christmas 2014 because of this!  

My challenge for you this month is to Make Your Own Backgrounds


Try a new background technique, stamp your own backgrounds, or even arrange some patterned papers to make a neat background.  Have fun coming up with different kinds of backgrounds for your holiday cards.

You can create cards for any holiday - Christmas, Easter, 4th of July, even St. Patrick's Day (which will be here in a couple of days!).  I chose to make all Christmas cards so I could build up my stash before December rolls around.  I also kept all the cards clean and simple for two reasons - to let the backgrounds shine through and so the cards would be flat and mail-able.

For my first card, I used the gorgeous new Winter Women plate from Rogue Redhead Designs.  My background is an oldie but a goodie called Polished Stone.  If you were to hold this card in your hands and move it around in the light, you would see all the gorgeous silver veining all over the background.  It's hard to capture that in a photograph.  

Stamp: Alice from Winter Women (Rogue Redhead Designs)

On this second card, I used the new Christmas Cheer plate from Rogue Redhead Designs.  I stamped the sleigh and the sentiment directly onto some patterned paper.  The background is a fun technique that I developed for Technique Junkies called Collaged Circles.  It's a great way to use up old patterned papers that you have in your stash.

Stamps: Silhouette Santa and sentiment from Christmas Cheer (Rogue Redhead Designs)

Another way to use up old papers in your stash is to do the Herringbone technique like I've done on the next card.  I've used the adorable bunnies from the Beatrix Potter set, A Winter's Tale, available from Rogue Redhead Designs.  I colored the bunnies with Copic markers.

Stamps: Gentleman Bunnies and sentiment from
Beatrix Potter's A Winter's Tale (available at Rogue Redhead Designs)

For my last card, I used the Christmas Cheer set again, and I stamped the holly branch all over the background.  Instead of coloring all of the leaves, I opted to just color in the berries with a Copic marker.  I stamped the sentiment with burgundy ink and then stamped the holly branch again with Versamark over the sentiment.  I love this rustic look!  You could do this same thing on a white background and color in all the leaves and berries for a more colorful "red and green" card.

Stamps: holly and sentiment from Christmas Cheer (Rogue Redhead Designs)

I hope I've inspired you to pull out your stamps and create a card or two for this challenge.  Create your own background for your holiday card and share it with us here in our linky widget below.

First, grab a badge for your blog to show you are participating.



Next, share your fabulous "Make Your Own Background" creations with the Holiday Inspiration Club right here on this post! You don't have to use RRD stamps, but it goes without saying that we LOVE it when you do!

5 comments:

  1. Wonderful collection of cards, Holly! I love all of the different background techniques.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I tried to edit my entry but the trash button only takes me to Pinterest :) I'll try to add the correct entry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love to create my own backgrounds - great challenge. I'm entering more than one card :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holly, each sample is a fabulous idea. I love the variety you gave us for inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  5. love your polished stone technique card-have never tried this. I've done the herringbone and love it to use up strips of leftover papers. am going to need to try your circle background, too. all 4 cards are neat.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and telling us what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...