Love Follow Me on Pinterest? Just hover over any image on our blog to Pin It!

Saturday, November 29, 2014

Alcohol Makes Everything a Little Better

....alcohol ink that is!  Today, I would like to show you how I mix and match my background techniques for a new look.


I know many of you have done distress ink backgrounds where the distress ink is direct stamped onto a craft sheet and misted and a piece of glossy cardstock is then dragged through the ensuing puddle of fabulous inky colors.  I love this soft look with its subtle waves of color.

I bet a bunch of you have also dabbled with a polished stone background with all the rich colors and great texture.  I also am in love with this fab technique.

So one day while I was trying to decide between these two looks, I had an interesting thought.  Why not use both of these techniques together?  I am sure I am not the first one to do this but it was fun and I really liked the outcome.

Here's my background before stamping:


I start with the distress ink background first.  I use one to two colors of distress ink on my craft sheet and, after misting the ink with some water, I drag a piece of glossy cardstock through the ink in a couple of different directions.  I set my cardstock aside to dry while I have fun deciding which images I will use once the background is complete.  Another great use of this time is to keep dragging more cardstock through your inky puddles until the ink is used up.  It's always smart to make a batch of backgrounds at once.

Once the distress ink is nicely dry, I apply a few complimentary colors of alcohol ink (I prefer Adirondack by Ranger)  to a piece of blending foam attached to my applicator.  I then stamp my inky combination around the edges of my background panel.  Keep dabbing the ink around the edges until you have a design that you like.  You can stop there if you like.  I like to add some splashes of blending fluid for more texture.  Let this background completely dry before proceeding to the next step.

Once dry, pick a variety of stamps with a central focal image.  Stamp the focal image first with Jet Black StazOn ink in the center of your card.  Add other elements and images randomly around the edges of your card, letting some images extend past the borders of your panel.

Here's what I made with my "drunk distress" ink background:

Stamps: holly, Santa and sentiment from Christmas Cheer (Rogue Redhead Designs)

Hope you have a fabulous day!  If you make your own card or project, hop on over to the Rogue Stampers Facebook Group and share your fab art!

2 comments:

  1. I just started dabbling in AI and I have to say I love it! Your background is awesome sauce! And the stamps your used are placed perfectly. TFS! ~Niki

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I love the visual depth that AI gives to projects! Hope to see some of your endeavors!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by and telling us what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...